Rhino and Pangolin Poaching Infographic
Attention Artist & Conservationists:
We are requesting your participation in a social media campaign to raise awareness against rhino and pangolin poaching. Join us to add your talent and support to this important cause.
Rhinos and pangolins are being poached in record numbers to supply an increasing black market demand for their parts. On World Rhino Day we plan to speak out.
THE PROJECT BRIEF
Please draw either a rhino or a pangolin. Replace the rhino horn or pangolin scales with toe nail / nail clippings. GROSS! We know. But that visceral reaction you just had... that is the point. These animals are being killed in masses so people can ingest horns and scales that are made of the same materials as our toenails. We want to gross them out!
A few simple rules:
1. Please do not post until September 22nd, International Rhino Day, as close as possible to 9am EST (convert to your time zone). We want to flood social media.
2. Our main focus is instagram so please post there and if possible make your image square so it looks good on instagram. Most western social media is blocked in China so if you want to go the extra mile please download WeChat and post on there. Please also share on any additional social media outlets you use.
3. Please use all of the following hashtags (many are in Vietnamese and Chinese):
#StopKillingForToenails #ourhornisnotmedicine #WorldRhinoDay #savethepangolin #selfievitegiac #穿山甲 #犀牛 #contete
You are welcome to add your own hashtags. Additional suggestions below:
#justGiantToenails #stopEatingToenails #iam4rhinos #WorldRhinoDay #sátcánhcùngtêgiác #selfievitegiac #wildlifeconservation #stoppoaching #worthmorealive #ourhornisnotmedicine #rhino #pangolin #InternationalRhinoDay #rhinoceros #contêgiác #犀牛 #SavetheRhinoVietnam #pangolin #contêtê #穿山甲
4. Feel free to use your existing artwork and just replace/cover the horn or scales with nail clippings.
5. Please share with other artists who may be interested in participating, including children. Children love to help animals and will likely be less grossed out by toenail clippings!
If you are interested in receiving reminder emails for this project sign up here.
SCANNED NAIL CLIPPINGS
In case yours are too short or you are too grossed off to use your own.
No, problem. You can still help. Please download the top image and post it on social media.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Images from some "new" old books...
The True Science Library: Deserts . Jungles . Oceans
Jungles illustrated by Katherine Grace
Oceans illustrated by Mary Gehr
See Through The Jungle
illustrated by Winifred Lubell
How the Camel Got his Hump
illustrated by Feodor Rojankovsky
I've wanted to check out Surtex for years and this year it is finally happening! I will be exhibiting with the lovely ladies of Forest Foundry Art Collective. We will be at booth #726. Please come by and say hi or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. SURTEX 2014 . MAY 18 – 20 . Jacob K. Javits Convention Center . New York, NY
Here is the work of the brilliant creatives in my art collective.
I want a diamond rainbow dress.
see more diamonds
every Wednesday.. or every wednesday that i feel like it I’ll be post a new art trends I’ve been “noticing…”
please confirm the question mark credits if you know the sources!
I tend to notice trends that are ideas that were already floating around in my head as something to create. This is yet another artwork I've been meaning to do. It will be a small part of an upcoming project. At least I have some excellent inspiration.
Sorry I've been mia. Life has been a little crazy. Hopefully will be back on track for at least my weekly post!
Isn't this owl painting fab? Not sure who the artist is. It was in a vintage store also in Hayes Valley.
I saw this painting at Mama's in North Beach (top left). Don't the colors really remind you of Bonnard's paintings (top right and bottom)?